This course will introduce you to the most common fish families and species found in temperate and tropical waters as well what you might see here in Missouri while diving locally. You'll also learn basic fish identification and scientific survey techniques as well as how important personal involvement is in aquatic conservation.
During your AWARE - Fish Identification Diver Specialty course, you'll practice basic fish identification techniques then collect fish identification data.
The course includes all the background you'll need to identify fish, including:
• Information on Project AWARE and aquatic protection worldwide
• Characteristics of local fish families and species
• Fish survey techniques and strategies
• Fish identification dive planning, organization and procedures
The AWARE - Fish Identification Adventure Dive from the Adventures In Diving program credits toward this specialty at the discretion of the instructor.
This Specialty course certification also counts as one of five Specialty certifications required for Master Scuba Diver certification. Take the Master Scuba Diver Challenge!
• PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
• Minimum age is 10 years old
• Adventures in Diving Manual (not included in cost of class)
• Fish ID/Counting Slate (included in cost of class)
• Waterproof Pocket Guide to Corals and Fishes Florida, Bahamas & Caribbean (included in cost of class)
• Missouri Game and Fish Booklet (provided in class)
Note: You will need to complete the appropriate knowledge review in the Adventures in Diving Manual prior to attending class. Course fee does not include rental equipment.
Cost: $125 (course offered upon request and on any Y-kiki sponsored dive vacation)