The Self-Reliant Specialty course gives you the confidence and skills to rely on yourself and only yourself when diving. If you’re a photographer, frequently travel alone, on a “Pro” Track, or just want to improve your confidence in diving this class is for you!
The purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognize and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving. There are two reasons for an experienced diver to take the Self-Reliant diver course:
• To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
• To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team.
This course covers when diving alone may be applicable, and the need to compensate for those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment and responsibility. This course is an introduction to self-reliant diving that helps student divers develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary to rely on themselves first, whether or not they are diving with a partner, including:
• The value and application of the buddy system.
• The philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a partner.
• Potential risks of diving alone, and how to manage those risks.
• The value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed.
• Dive planning and gas management.
This Specialty course certification also counts as one of five Specialty certifications required for Master Scuba Diver certification. Take the Master Scuba Diver Challenge!
• PADI Advanced Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
• Minimum 100 Logged Dives
• Minimum age is 18 years old
Required Equipment (Rental Available):
• Appropriately Rigged Pony Bottle or Tank equipped with H or Y-valve
• Surface Marker Buoy and Reel
• Backup Signaling Device (Whistle, Mirror, etc.)
• Slate and Writing Instrument
• Cutting Tool
• Manual (included in cost of class)