The purpose of the Whale Shark Awareness Specialty course is to introduce divers and snorkelers to whale sharks and familiarize them with proper recreational diving techniques for responsible interaction. Training should emphasize fun and safety. The goals of the Whale Shark Awareness Specialty course training are:
• To introduce divers to whale shark biology, behavior and distribution.
• Provide an overview of whale shark research and worldwide conservation status.
• To enable divers to plan, organize and execute a whale shark dive in a safe, passive manner.
• To emphasize the importance of whale shark monitoring activities and provide whale shark conservation opportunities through participation in Project AWARE’s Whale Shark Project
• PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
• Minimum age is 10 years old
Nondiver route: Snorkelers may participate in the course but will have different administrative, certification and in-water requirements.
Cost: $125 (course offered upon request and on select Y-kiki sponsored dive vacations)