The Sea Turtle Awareness Distinctive Specialty course indroduces divers and snorkelers to basic sea turtle identification and conservation. The goals of the Sea Turtle Awareness course training are:
• To familiarize students with the role of Project AWARE in preserving the aquatic environment.
• To introduce sea turtle species common in temperate or tropical waters.
• To emphasize the importance of whale shark monitoring
• To provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to identify turtles and record sightings.
• To inform students about decline in sea turtle populations, importance of sea turtles to marine biodiversity and what they can do to reduce the loss of sea turtles worldwide.
• PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
• Minimum age is 10 years old
Nondiver route: Snorkelers may participate in the course but will have different administrative, certification and in-water requirements.
Cost: $125 (course offered upon request and on select Y-kiki sponsored dive vacations)